Click Here for Current Open Calls for Submission
What we want:
Dreamspinner Press seeks gay male romance stories in all genres. While works do not need to be graphic, they must contain a primary or strong secondary romance plotline and focus on the interaction between two or more male characters.
The main characters of the story must end in an M/M or M/M/M relationship. Other relationships (M/F, F/F, M/M/F, F/F/M) are acceptable in secondary pairings or as part of the development of a main character.
We encourage tales that cross genres; for example, a science-fiction mystery or romantic fantasy. Stories can stand alone or be part of a well-developed series.
ROMANCE – Modern or historical love stories with strong characters.
SCIENCE FICTION – Science fiction, urban fantasy worlds, futuristic, time travel, and alternate reality stories.
FANTASY – Dragons, elves, fairies, and knights in shining armor.
WESTERNS – Cowboys, ranchers, rodeo riders, and Native Americans.
MILITARY/PARAMILITARY/MERCENARY – Political thrillers, espionage, and in-the-field stories.
MYSTERY/SUSPENSE – Provincial country detectives, fast-paced thrillers, or hard-boiled PI's.
PARANORMAL – Scare us with your vampires, zombies, and things that go bump in the night.
HOLIDAY STORIES – Valentine’s Day, Halloween, Christmas, and more.
Dreamspinner Press will not publish gratuitous depictions of incest, rape, and other extreme material included for the express purpose of titillating the reader.
We do not accept partial manuscripts or simultaneous submissions. We will review your submission as quickly as we can, and we ask that you respect our editors' time by not submitting your manuscript elsewhere until we have completed our review. Partial manuscripts will be declined immediately. Thank you for your consideration.
We are currently not accepting manuscripts of fewer than 15,000 words unless they are submitted for inclusion in an announced anthology. To see a list of anthologies with open submissions, click HERE.
Please submit the following:
In the body of the e-mail:
Your legal name, pseudonym if applicable, and contact e-mail address.
Working title, series name if applicable.
Genre and manuscript length.
General story description in two paragraphs.
Attach to the e-mail the following:
A short but complete story summary and/or synopsis.
The complete manuscript, for all lengths of works.
We do not accept partial manuscripts for review. Partial manuscripts will be declined immediately.
Formatting Your Submission
- Please follow these simple formatting guidelines. Our editors will thank you.
- Submissions will be accepted in .docx, .doc, .rtf, and .txt formats.
- Standard 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph. 1.5 line spaces between lines. No tabs or spacing to indent, please! Page numbers in the upper right corner, author name in the upper left corner with the title of the work following.
- Example: Stephen King / The Shining
- Send your submission to: submissions @ dreamspinnerpress.com. The word Submission must be in the subject line.
- All submissions must be spellchecked and edited for American English grammar and spelling. Regional words and slang are acceptable when appropriate.
Dreamspinner Press edits works using The Chicago Manual of Style as its primary reference. Editing your work to these standards prior to publication will greatly facilitate the publication process.
- Novel: 60,000 words and up
- Long Novella: 30-59,999 words
- Novella: 15-29,999 words
- We are currently not accepting manuscripts of fewer than 15,000 words unless they are submitted for inclusion in an announced anthology. To see a list of anthologies with open submissions, click HERE.
What you can expect from us:
- Unsolicited manuscripts are accepted at any time.
- We will acknowledge all submissions by e-mail in five to seven days.
- Submissions will be read by an editor and you will have a response in six to eight weeks.
- All accepted works must be provided to us as an electronic file.
- Electronic contracts are exchanged via e-mail.
Advances and contract terms:
- All novels are contracted in print and digital formats, which are released simultaneously. A $500-$1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for paperback sales.
- Novellas are released in digital format. A $200-$500 advance may be offered at the discretion of the publisher. Novellas earn 40% royalties for digital sales.
- Short stories and novellas for anthologies are purchased for a flat amount based on the length of the work. Exceptions are made for an anthology of shorter fiction by a single author in which case the novel length guidelines apply.
- Copyright remains with the author.
Dreamspinner Press House Lines
We accept submissions for our specialized subsidiary lines. Please read the guidelines below.
Dreamspinner Press presents Timeless Dreams: stories of M/M romance in historical settings. While reaction to same-sex relationships throughout time and across cultures has not always been positive, these stories celebrate M/M love in a manner that may address, minimize, or ignore historical stigma. You can visit the rough and tumble Old West, travel the ancient kingdoms of desert sheikhs, see the black and red lacquer of the Far East, or dance in dramatic Regency England. No matter where or when, in the romantic worlds of Timeless Dreams, our heroes always live happily ever after.
Novels and novellas that fit this description may be submitted to email@example.com. Follow the general submission guidelines. Please include “Timeless Dreams” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Romantic M/M Fiction with Nontraditional Endings
Dreamspinner Press presents Bittersweet Dreams: stories of M/M romance with nontraditional endings. It's an unfortunate truth: love doesn't always conquer all. Regardless of its strength, sometimes fate intervenes, tragedy strikes, or forces conspire against it. These stories of romance do not offer a traditional happy ending, but the strong and enduring love will still touch your heart and maybe move you to tears.
Novels and novellas that fit this description may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the general submission guidelines. Please include “Bittersweet Dreams” in the subject line of your e-mail.