Since we are living in a rather divisive time, I decided to make my Top 5 list about a diva with an uncanny ability to bring together audiences of people who you wouldn’t expect to find in the same room together. Southern farmers, exuberant gays, ladies dressed like prostitutes, preachers, clubbers, young kids, great-grandparents, and everyone in between - they all get along when Dolly Parton is in the house. To glean some of her unifying wisdom, here are my top 5 favorite Dollyisms:
- I describe my look as a blend of Mother Goose, Cinderella, and the local hooker.
- I’m not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes, because I know I’m not dumb. And I know I’m not blonde!
- Find out who you are and do it on purpose.
- If you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain.
- When I talk to a man, I can always tell what he’s thinking by where he’s looking. If he’s looking at my eyes, he’s looking for intelligence. If he’s looking at my mouth, he’s looking for wisdom. And if he’s looking anywhere else except my chest, he’s looking for another man.