Random Acts of Kindness
Edited by Tricia Kristufek and Shannon Shell
Dreamspinner Press is seeking romantic short stories featuring random acts of kindness. Stories should feature happy or promising endings.
• Tim was having a bad day until the guy in front of him in line at Starbucks secretly paid for his coffee. But then he left before Tim could say thank you. Now Tim’s determined to find him.
• Jeff’s grocery bag broke at the bottom of the stairs up to his third-floor walkup. There’s coffee, yogurt, apples, and, uh, personal items, all over the floor. He’s doing his best to pick up the mess when David, his new neighbor, offers a hand.
• Satoshi sees a tourist drop his pen, so he picks it up and tracks down the man to return it, only to find himself pulled into playing guide for him, a new English teacher.
• Bitter about the loss of his apprenticeship and bullied by the troll who stole it, Terence finds himself charmed by the shadow demon who helps him pick up his books and get back on his feet.
• Clarence loved his car, but he really hated its tendency to die in the middle of nowhere, at least until the hot guy in the pickup showed up and fixed his engine while also sharing his number and more.
Editor’s Note: Because of the packaged nature of the anthology, all stories need to stand alone. No sequels to or spin-offs of previously published works, please.
Submission Deadline: October 1, 2014
Publication Date: February 2015
Single-book anthology story length: 3,500 – 12,000 words
Manuscripts shorter or longer will be considered but will have to be extraordinary.
Follow general Submission Guidelines for instructions and formatting.
Send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. List the anthology title in the subject line of your e-mail. Ex: KINDNESS anthology submission