Dreamspinner Press is looking for novellas set in each of the 50 United States. These should be contemporary romances spotlighting the unique features, qualities, and attributes of each state as well as the universality of love wherever it’s found.
SEE AVAILABLE--CLAIMED--CONTRACTED LIST AT END OF POST.
HERE’S HOW IT WILL WORK
- We will publish one novella per state.
- Authors can claim a state they want to write about on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Each author will only be able to claim a single state, at least initially. (Depending upon submission response, this restriction may be waived in the future.)
- Authors must provide a brief synopsis of the story and a date by which the submission will be submitted (no farther out than six months, please) when staking their claim.
- If an author claims a state and fails to submit a story by the agreed-upon date or the story is not deemed acceptable, the state will be reposted for a new claim.
- Normal submission and editorial procedures will apply.
- Stories will be scheduled to release as part of the overall Dreamspinner publication schedule.
- Release order will be at the editorial staff’s discretion.
- A unique cover format may be developed to tie the series together. This may limit author input into the cover design process.
- Stories will be released in eBook formats only.
- Stories must be novella-length (15,000 minimum – 50,000 words maximum).
- Genre should be contemporary—no paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery/suspense, or historical.
- These should be feel-good stories with HEA or HFN endings. No heavy angst, please.
- M/M or M/M/M only.
- Setting and plot must contain unique elements relating to the specific state claimed—the story should not be one that could take place anywhere.
- Any level of sexual content is acceptable as long as it is appropriate to the story.
TO SUBMIT A CLAIM
- Mail to: email@example.com. Please include “Submission Claim: States of Love” in the subject line.
- Authors must provide a brief synopsis of the story and a date by which the submission will be submitted (no longer than six months, please) when staking their claim.
- We will acknowledge all claims by e-mail within five to seven days.
ADVANCES AND CONTRACT TERMS
- All States of Love novellas will be contracted for digital format and will earn 40% to 60% royalties (based on copies sold).
- Copyright remains with the author.
- Electronic contracts are exchanged via e-mail.
Send your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Submission: States of Love” in the subject line.
Send in the body of the e-mail:
- Your legal name, pseudonym if applicable, and contact e-mail address.
- Working title, series name if applicable
- Genre and manuscript length.
- General story description in two paragraphs.
- Writing credentials.
Attach to the e-mail:
- A short but complete story summary and/or synopsis.
- The complete manuscript, for all lengths of works.
FORMATTING YOUR SUBMISSION
Please follow these simple formatting guidelines. Our editors will thank you.
- Submissions will be accepted in .docx, .doc, .rtf, and .txt formats.
- Standard 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph. 1.5 line spaces between lines. No tabs or spacing to indent, please! Page numbers in the upper right corner, author name in the upper left corner with the title of the work following. Example: Stephen King / The Shining
- All submissions must be spellchecked and edited for American English grammar and spelling. Regional words and slang are acceptable when appropriate.
- Dreamspinner Press edits works using The Chicago Manual of Style as its primary reference. Editing your work to these standards prior to publication will greatly facilitate the publication process.
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia